Innovative and Involved
This firm is founded on the passion for building a stronger community. Working with Van Gorp Legal Services means also working with a powerful network of dedicated professionals.
Meet the Founder
Alex Van Gorp was born in a hospital just off Lake Shore Drive in Chicago but grew up in the part of Indiana that attempts to claim itself as part of Chicagoland. Alex attended Ball State University, where he studied Japanese, Chinese, East Asian Studies and Environmental Policy. While in undergrad, Alex spent a summer in China for the International Scholar Laureate Program. Alex graduated with a Bachelor of Arts with honors and cum laude in 2013.
Right after undergrad, Alex moved to Indianapolis to begin law school at Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law. Even before orientation, Alex dove into community involvement by taking on volunteer and leadership opportunities with a variety of organizations. While in law school, Alex participated in the Staton Moot Court Competition, and the Appellate Clinic, where he earned a reversal for his client. He also spent a summer in Chongqing, China at the Southwest University of Politics and Law where he learned Chinese law and policy.
Through most of his time at law school, Alex served as law clerk to the Deputy Director and General Counsel of the Indiana Civil Rights Commission and was recognized for his contribution of over 1,200 pro bono legal service hours there when he received the John Paul Berlon award in recognition of attaining the highest achievement in pro bono and community service among IU McKinney. He also served as a legal extern for the Sagamore Institute, a non-partisan think tank where he researched criminal justice reform, and as an HIV/STI Counselor and Tester for the Damien Center.
After graduating from IU McKinney in May 2016, Alex was admitted to the bar later that year. He began Van Gorp Legal Services in the later part of 2017 and is excited to see where this part of his story will lead.
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Chairperson – Indy Attorneys Network (2013-Present)
- Executive committee – Young Lawyers Division (2016-Present)
- Alumni member – Law Student Division (2013-Present)
- Mentee – Women & the Law Division (2015-Present)
- Mentee – Mentor Connect Program (2016-Present)
- Member – E-Discovery, Information Governance, and Data Security Section (2017-Present)
- Member – Helping Enrich Attorneys’ Lives (HEAL) Committee (2016-Present)
- Volunteer – Indy Legal Lines, Ask a Lawyer, and Free Wills Programs (2016-Present)
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Member – Young Lawyers Section (2016-Present)
- LGBT Bar Association
- Member – Affiliate Congress (2014-Present)
- Lambda Law Society
- President Emeritus – (2013-Present)
- American Constitution Society
- Chapter Vice-President (2013-2014)
- Indy Pride (2013-Present)
- Events Chair – Circle City IN Pride (2014-2015)
- Member – Bylaws Committee (2017-Present)
- OutCare Health
- Legal/Community Correspondence Director (2015-Present)
- Damien Center
- HIV/STI Counselor and Tester (2015-2016)
- Popular Opinion Leader (2017-Present)
- Step Up, Inc.
- Freedom Indiana
- Indy Urban Acres
- Indiana University GLBT Alumni Association
- Professor Lawrence A. Jegen, III
- Hon. William E. Steckler
- IndyBar Review
- Bench Bar 2017
- John Paul Berlon Award
- Norman Lefstein Award of Excellence
- Indiana License to Practice Law – (2016-Present)
- Indiana Notary Public – (2016-Present)
- Safe Zone and Trans Safe Zone Certification – (2012-Present)
- Indiana State Department of Health HIV Counseling, Testing, and Referral Certification – (2015-2018)